Points of interest

The historical part of Veisiejai is an urban reserve of the regional park, where the network of streets, the square plan of the late 18th c.-early 19th c., fragments of buildings, townscape of the old town and natural environment are stored.

 

Fragments of the former Veisiejai Manor. The wing of the former manor is one of the oldest buildings (early 18th c.) not only in Veisiejai but in the entire area as well. The Veisiejai Manor House was built by the Grand Hetman of Lithuania, Mykolas Masalskis, who also started the park and garden. The Veisiejai Manor Park is one of the oldest parks in Lithuania, it was declared a natural heritage site in 2007. The park of 9.53 hectare is located next to the Veisiejai Manor House. The park is particularly notable for the rings of 21 lime trees and the Veisiejai ash tree, a natural heritage site of local significance.

 

The musical fountain in Ančia Lake is open during the warm months. The water, music and light show is a great opportunity to spend a pleasant time and get away from the everyday routine. The only fountain in Lithuania with a light and sound installation is located next to the well maintained Veisiejai Town Park in Lake Ančia. The Veisiejai fountain was the first of its kind in the country and, since its construction, has attracted thousands of spectators from all over Lithuania and abroad.

 

The Veisiejai Regional Museum was established in 1998. The information about the prominent people of the Veisiejai region, political prisoners, partisans, the life of the elders of the region, and the history of the Veisiejai school are provided here. A large part of the museum’s exhibition is dedicated to the memory of L. L. Zamenhof, a doctor and the creator of the Esperanto language, and a composer J. Neimontas.

 

The Church of St. George is a church of impressive size, also known as Dzūkija Cathedral. In the late-18th c., the Grand Hetman of Lithuania, Mykolas Masalskis, started the construction of the church. It is an architectural monument of transitional forms from Baroque to Classicism. The construction of the church was finished in 1817 by Viktorija Oginskaitė-Žynievienė. The church houses a multitude of art monuments and a crypt of the founders of the church, dukes T. and M. Oginskis, M. Žynevas and V. Oginskaitė-Žynevienė in the church’s basement. Next to the church, there is a bell tower with the oldest brass bell in the district, cast as early as 1650.

 

Sculpture Park “Childhood Garden” was started in the spring of 2007 during the Artists' Plein Air “Veisiejai Spring”. The park was created and is maintained by the PE Veisiejų miškų urėdija. The Veisiejai Sculpture Park was created in 2001 on the occasion of the 500th town anniversary. Another sculpture park is located near the Veisiejai Vocational School of Technology and Business in Kailiniai village.

 

An observation tower is erected in Kailiniai village, in the north-western part of Snaigynas Lake. At the top of the 15-metre-high observation tower, one can admire one of the cleanest lakes in the Lazdijai district, three islands, and the scenery of the Veisiejai town and its surroundings.

 

Šlavantai Hillfort with an ancient settlement is located on the western shore of Šlavantai Lake, at the mouth of an unnamed stream, accessible by the road Gudeliai–Seirijai, after a right turn on the road in Gegutė village. The hillfort is located in the lands of Yotvingians, on a steep hill on the western shore of the Šlavantai Lake. There was an ancient settlement at the southwestern foot of the hillfort. The shards of pottery and moulded pots with a rough surface indicate that there were people living in the settlement, as well as in the hillfort, in the 1st to early 2nd millennium. 

 

The ancient settlement of Mėčiūnai dates back to the Stone Age, it is located in the Gudiškė forest, 1.7 km east of the defensive fortifications of Vainežeris. There is an uneven ground at the top of the hill and a large terrace below it. The ancient settlement is surrounded on one side by Ančia Lake and on the other by a forested ravine separating it from the adjacent heights. The ancient settlement of Mėčiūnai, better known to many as the Mečiūnai Hillfort, is referred to by the locals as the Pūstelnykas Cape.

 

Fragments of the former Vainežeris Manor. The first Vainežeris manor house was built on the eastern shore of the Lake Vainežeris in the 17th-18th c. A park, two gardens and a tree-nursery were established nearby. In this manor, Countess E. Pliaterytė, a captain, a participant in the uprising, died in 1831, she was trying to reach Warsaw through Užnemunė, but was wounded by an enemy bullet. She was secretly taken to the church in Kapčiamiestis by the river Baltoji Ančia and buried in the Kapčiamiestis cemetery. A monument in memory of E. Pliaterytė was erected in the Vainežeris Manor Park. The Emilija monument in Vainežeris Manor Park is special as it is probably the only kneeling knight monument in Europe. In 2002, the Vainežeris Manor Park was declared a state-protected natural heritage site. The park occupies an area of 17.79 ha. Vainežeris Lake is also located on its territory. Later the manor house was moved to the southwestern shore of the lake.

 

The defensive fortifications “Okopka” are located 0.3 km north of Vainežeris Lake, on a peninsula on the southern shore of Ančia Lake. It is believed that these fortifications were built by noblemen in the 17th and 18th c. There is no doubt that these fortifications were used during the war with Sweden and Russia (1701 – 1721). At that time, such defensive fortifications were built near manors. Other sources suggest that there was a castle at this location as well.

 

The paved section of the road Kapčiamiestis – Leipalingis “Brukakelis” stretches for about 400 m. According to the legend, this stone-paved road was the route taken by Duke Sigismund Augustus by foot to escort his beloved late wife Barbora Radvilaitė from Warsaw to Vilnius.

 

Stankūnai Ancient Burial Ground is located 600 m south of the southern shore of Zervylis Lake, south-east of the road Leipalingis-Lazdijai-Kalvarija. The ancient burial ground is located on a small flat hill, about 1.0 ha in size.

 

Taikūnai Pine Tree grows on the south-western slope of Vilkaitis Lake, on the forest road leading to Taikūnai village.  There was a bunker during the partisan movement about 3 m from the pine tree, where two partisans, A. Valionis, nicknamed Fern, and A. Sakalauskas, nicknamed Storm, died in February 1949. Only a pit remains of the former bunker. 

 

Prancūzkalnis is located in the village of Bertašiūnai, also known as the “generations” hill. It is said that during the French Period (1807–1813), people used to be hanged on it. Local people still remember the legends told by their great-grandparents that Napoleon Bonaparte himself stopped here for a short rest.

Last updated: 18-08-2022